Charli's Website!

Rah!

Funghi

30-Mar-2017

I'm rubbish at growing mushrooms, I've never been very successful.

I've tried various cheap button mushroom kits, that usually required a mix of well rotted manure and straw, then the spawn and a casing layer of soil. None of them ever grew, both kept inside the house, outside and in the greenhouse.

I've tried 3 lots of oyster and shitaki logs. One was a purchased one- that produced a few flushes of shitaki mushrooms, but you have to be quick to beat the slugs and the chickens to them! The logs I made myself from freshly cut oak and maple, as in this post, never produced anything. I don't think I kept the logs damp enough.

One last try! And I shall follow instructions to the letter!

So I built a wine-cap bed. This is an area in the garden that I cleared, edged with old oak flooring and layered with cardboard and woodchip, and a final layer of straw.



I purchased some proper mycobags and filled with woodchip from the centre of a very large and hot pile of composting woodchip. I also tried pasteurised bags of woodchip and straw, and woodchip and sawdust. Pasteurised meant pouring a few litres of boiling water into each and leaving for a few hours, before draining and (when cool- which took about 12 hours) mixing in the oyster spawn. These are kept indoors whilst the mycelium colonises, at which point they can go outside to fruit once the weather is a bit warmer.



And a final go at shitaki mushrooms, this time on alder logs. I put slightly more mushroom dowels in than the instructions, trying to ensure I get colonisation. Not being entirely sure where is best to keep the logs but they're currently on a pallet by the water butts- sheltered under the canopy of a tree and where I can water them easily to keep the logs damp.